Grand Canyon Interesting Facts
Sure, everybody knows the Grand Canyon. But how well do you really know the Grand Canyon? The Grand Canyon enjoys a long history-really long. Recent uranium-lead dating puts the age of the Grand Canyon at about 17 million years. A lot’s been happening in the Grand Canyon since that time. Check out these fun facts and figures about the Grand Canyon, and test your knowledge.
Summer is a great time to visit the canyon, however remember on the South Rim you are at approximately 7000 feet in elevation so it can get cold. Take a light jacket with you for sunset and sunrise.
Grand Canyon Fun Facts
- The Grand Canyon is Arizona’s #1 tourist attraction.
- Only 10% of visitors enter the North Rim (open mid-May to mid-October).
- The Pueblo people revered the Grand Canyon as a holy site.
- The South Rim and North Rim are the two main Grand Canyon routes.
- About 5 million people visit the Grand Canyon National Park per year.
- In search of the Seven Cities of Gold, the first European viewed the Grand Canyon in 1540.
- The Grand Canyon Skywalk cost $31 million dollars to complete in 2007.